(January 8, 2022) Haddam Volunteer Fire Company responded to a reported chimney fire at 8:00 a.m. on Grape Vine Road.
Upon arrival, no flames were showing from the exterior of the two-story house. Firefighters extinguished a fire in the home’s fireplace and removed all burning debris. Crews then used a ladder to access the roof and removed the chimney cap. By using special chains and other equipment, firefighters were able to knock away a small area of creosote that had built up near the top of the fireplace.
Officers advised the homeowners to have their chimney inspected before using the fireplace in the future.
** Deputy Chief Jed Morrissey recommends homeowners have their chimneys inspected and cleaned annually.
H-KNow.com is a not-for-profit daily online newspaper operated by the Haddam Civic League, a volunteer organization which also produces Haddam Killingworth News (print newspaper) sent free to every home and business in Haddam, East Haddam, and Killingworth. You may mail us at the address below