By Olivia Drake, HVFC
(January 8, 2022) Haddam Volunteer Fire Company responded to a reported chimney fire at 8:00 a.m. on Grape Vine Road.
Upon arrival, no flames were showing from the exterior of the two-story house. Firefighters extinguished a fire in the home’s fireplace and removed all burning debris. Crews then used a ladder to access the roof and removed the chimney cap. By using special chains and other equipment, firefighters were able to knock away a small area of creosote that had built up near the top of the fireplace.
Officers advised the homeowners to have their chimney inspected before using the fireplace in the future.
** Deputy Chief Jed Morrissey recommends homeowners have their chimneys inspected and cleaned annually.
Photos by Olivia Drake, HVFC.