By Connecticut Department of Transportation.
(February 27, 2023)–BRIDGE CLOSURE INFO
Wednesday, February 22, 2023 through Friday, March 10, 2023.
Traveling to/from the South – Use the signed detour utilizing the Baldwin Bridge (I-95 Old Saybrook).
Swing Bridge Project Weekly Update: Construction Activities – Week of February 26, 2023
The Connecticut Department of Transportation advises the following construction activities for the upcoming week:
Crews will continue with Micropile installation
No anticipated work activities this week.
Crews will perform surface prep followed by priming on Span 1 and the Swing Span.
Crews will continue installing an overhead moveable crane on Span 1 & 2.
Crews will continue with substructure repairs and install new pedestals on Pier 1.
- Crews will continue with repair work of the swing span mechanical system to return full functionality to swing operations.
- Bridge: Crews will be working on priorty steel repairs.
Single lane closures on Route 82 will occur Monday through Friday between 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. within the project limits, traffic flaggers will coordinate the alternating traffic sequence.
- All lanes will be reopened and operational during peak traffic hours.
- There will be complete bridge closures to vehicular traffic Wednesday through Friday. Be advised that Saturday and Sunday night closures may also occur if weeknights are lost. (Weekend updates will be provided on Thursdays to inform the public on the contractor’s weekend schedule for closures).
- The road closures all start at 7:00 p.m. and conclude at 6:00 a.m. the following morning.
Additionally, inclement weather or construction related issues could cause cancellations of overnight bridge closures, we will communicate cancellations if they occur.
The bridge tender will perform two daily manual openings of the swing span, the openings will occur (if needed) at 10:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. Be advised that this schedule is subject to change if the bridge crew encounters reoccurring or new problems during the scheduled manual openings. Additionally, high winds (gusts above 25mph) could prevent the bridge tender from performing a manual swing, boaters are advised to monitor wind gusts on anticipated navigation day.
- Weekend work is not anticipated.
- We are now sending TEXT Alerts for bridge closures and re-openings, closure cancellations, and any emergency closures. To Opt-in, text the word SWINGBRIDGE to 888777. (Message and Data rates may apply). In addition to SMS messages, if you would like to receive Swing Bridge open/closed status notices via email or a voice call from Everbridge, please click here to enter the required information. Message and data rates may apply. Reply HELP for help, STOP to Opt-out.
- Effective November 11, 2022, any trucks that exceed 16 tons are restricted from using the East Haddam Swing Bridge, until further notice. Routine enforcement has been scheduled with the Connecticut State Police and Department of Motor Vehicles.
- Project traffic CAMS (one on each side of the river) are available 24/7 to monitor the traffic conditions at the bridge, the camera feeds are viewable from our project website homepage.
- Road signage will alert drivers to lane closures in the construction area. Please pay attention to road signage, slow down, and stay safe!
- Access to local businesses and residents within the work zones will be maintained.
- Unforeseen circumstances have the potential to impact all scheduled construction activities.
If you have any questions related to construction, please send an e-mail to email@example.com
Click here to see the Swing Bridge Preconstruction Slide Show (June 2022)
Click here to read the Anticipated Park Impact (Eagle Landing State Park)