Submitted by Gail Reynolds, Master Gardener Program Coordinator
(September 7, 2022) —The UConn Master Gardener Program is now accepting applications for the Haddam-based class that will begin in January, 2023. The classroom portion of the program will be held at the Middlesex County Extension Center in Haddam on Tuesday mornings from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Applications must be submitted by October 14, 2022. The program cost is $475. Partial scholarship is available.
Students enrolled in this program receive training in an extensive range of horticultural and environmental topics, including botany, plant pathology, entomology, integrated pest management (IPM), herbaceous and woody ornamentals, edibles, turf grass, invasive plants, and diagnostic techniques for the home gardener.
100+ class hours. Classroom training includes approximately three hours of online material as well as one half-day per week for 16 weeks, 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m., January – April 2023
- 30 hours of supervised service answering the public’s horticultural questions and researching gardening problems; and 30 hours outreach on approved educational outreach and/or community project(s); both to be completed by the end of September 2023
- Subject quizzes and graded mid-term exam
- Tree/Shrub/Vine identification and research project due by the end of August 2023
- Attendance at one of five summer diagnostic practice sessions
- Final diagnostic exam at the end of in-service training
- Final essay due at the end of September 2023
Most UConn Extension Master Gardeners find the class to be a life-changing experience! “Individuals become master gardeners because they are interested in gardening and, most important, learning more about the science behind good gardening practices. In addition, the collegiality of master gardeners allows us to share our knowledge with the public at many outreach venues,” according to Ken Sherrick, 2013 graduate of the UConn Extension Master Gardener Program in Middlesex County.
For additional information on the program and to apply online, please visit https://mastergardener.uconn.edu/2023-uconn-master-gardener-application/