Submitted by Tricia Modifica, Eversource.
BERLIN, Conn. (November 25, 2019) – With the holiday season upon us, neighborhoods are starting to twinkle with festive light displays inside and out. Eversource is reminding customers about some ways to get in the holiday spirit while conserving energy, saving money and staying safe.
“Before putting up holiday decorations, it’s important to inspect them to ensure they’re not broken or damaged – check lighted displays for cracked sockets, frayed wires or loose connections,” said Eversource Vice President of Safety Ken Bogler. “When decorating outside, we remind people to work from a stable surface and to always be aware of any power lines or other hazards that might be nearby.”
- Never run extension cords under rugs or coil them tightly, which can cause them to overheat
- Use a programmable timer for lights to ensure they aren’t accidentally left on
- Water and electricity do not mix so keep outdoor connections off the ground
- Check labels to ensure lights are used properly – outside light are labeled for outdoor use
- All the parts of the lights need to be dampness and temperature-proof
- Check extension cords for wear, and plug outdoor lights and decorations into GFCI outlets
- Use advanced power strips where possible for all holiday lighting to eliminate standby energy loss
- Turn off room lights when the tree is lit to save energy while creating a festive atmosphere