By Enoch Lenge, Eversource.
(Nov. 16, 2020) — Fall is a great time to tackle those home improvement projects that have been put off because of the summer heat. In addition to landscaping, gutter cleaning, power washing, and deck repair, here are some home improvement projects to add to your list to boost your comfort while helping save you money and energy this winter:
- Upgrade Your Lighting – Did you know that the average household dedicates about 5% of its energy budget to lighting? Now that it’s getting darker earlier and your lights are on longer, consider switching your current light bulbs with LEDs. According to Energy.gov, ENERGY STAR-certified residential LEDs use at least 75% less energy and last up to 25 times longer than incandescent lighting.
- Insulate Doors and Windows – Air sealing, especially in an old, drafty house, can save homeowners more than 20% on their heating and cooling costs. Installing weatherstripping around your doors and windows is an easy and low-cost way to improve your home’s energy efficiency and keep the cold winter wind at bay.
- Check Your Attic for Air Leaks – An unfinished, poorly insulated attic is another common area where homeowners experience significant heat loss. Adding insulation to the attic floor and sealing any air leaks can help stabilize the temperature inside your home, prevent ice dams, and help save on energy costs.
- Maintain Your Heating and Cooling Systems – Be sure to add scheduling a preventative tune-up with your local HVAC company. A clean system that is free of dirt and debris will run more efficiently and preserve airflow.
- Install Programmable Thermostats – You can save as much as 10% a year on heating and cooling by simply turning your thermostat back 7°-10°F for 8 hours a day from its typical setting. Programmable thermostats allow you to easily set your home’s temperature in advance to avoid coming home to a freezing house. A smart thermostat takes that a step further by allowing you to set your temperature from your smart phone or tablet. Some even learn your habits and adjust accordingly – helping to save you even more.
- Window Replacement – While this may not be at the top of your list, replacing old windows, especially with high performance ones like triple-pane windows, can improve a home’s energy efficiency and overall comfort.
Before researching various contractors or DIY-ing these improvements, take advantage of the limited time only, no-cost Home Energy Solutionssm program offered by Eversource. To get started, you can schedule an appointment with an Eversource-authorized energy expert to evaluate your home’s energy efficiency needs. During in-person visits, energy experts following COVID-19 safety requirements will also conduct important safety tests and install weatherization measures and energy-saving improvements, such as air sealing, LED lighting, and advanced power strips.
To help make additional improvements more affordable, Home Energy Solutionssm participants can take advantage of 0% financing on approved energy-saving improvements, and up to 100% off of eligible insulation projects. Eversource has you covered with a wide range of energy-saving rebates and discounts, including a new triple-pane window rebate. From now through December 31, Eversource is offering a $100 rebate per window for each window replaced with an ENERGY STAR-certified triple-pane window.
Whether you’re looking to improve the comfort of your home, save on your energy bill, or help save the environment, Eversource has several budget-friendly solutions to help you get started. To schedule your no-cost energy assessment, call 1-877-WISE-USE (1-877-947-3873), or visit Eversource.com to learn more about Eversource’s residential offerings and additional ways to save.
Enoch Lenge is Eversource’s energy efficiency spokesman and provides energy saving tips on the company’s blog.