Submitted by Ray Galloway
(May 19, 2023) — Have you considered becoming a Mentor for a child in our community? As a Mentor, you can have a positive impact on a boy or girl living in Haddam or Killingworth.
A Mentor is a role model, a friend, a listener, a confidant.
Mentors are trusted volunteers from the community who have successfully completed a formalized and thorough application process.
Mentors meet with their mentees for an hour each week during the school year and in the school setting.
Mentors provide their mentees with attention, friendship and opportunities to engage in fun activities that build confidence, optimism and positive relationships with others.
What are the benefits for the child?
Available research reflects that a significant number of children who participate in formalized mentoring programs:
- Experience higher graduation rates and are more likely to enroll in post-secondary education programs;
- Show improved school attendance;
- Show improved self-esteem and school engagement;
- Are less likely to start using illegal drugs and alcohol;
- Show improved relationships with adults;
- Improve their school performance;
- Show increased participation in extra-curricular activities.
If you have an interest in learning more about the HKYFS Mentoring Program and possibly applying to become a mentor, please contact Patty Coletti, Program Coordinator, at 860-345-7498 or email@example.com. She will schedule an informational meeting for prospective mentors.
The H-K Mentoring Program is a collaboration between RSD 17 and HKYFS. You can make a beneficial difference in the life of a child.