100 Years Ago June 1919
In and About The Haddams
Selected from the pages of The Evening Press and lightly annotated by Sally Haase
Haddam, June 2, 1919: Arthur Hennisey, a returned soldier, who has been making a nuisance of himself in Haddam for the past two weeks, was arraigned in a Haddam justice court on three charges, and after a hearing bound over to superior court. The most serious charge against Hennisey was one of breaking and entering into the garage of Harvey R. Pierce of Haddam and took a motor cycle owned by William Coggin. Hennisey pleaded guilty to stealing the motor cycle and stripped parts from a motor cycle of Everett Kharman. In addition, Haddam people relate several other tales about Hennisey. It is said that he entered one house while the occupants were away and got into bed with his clothes and shoes on. The owner arrived in the morning and found him there. He told the owner that he was a soldier and that he could do anything. Another time it is said that he walked into the kitchen on a home and attempted to be familiar with a young girl. The mother chased him out with a broomstick so it goes.
Ponsett, June 3, 1919: Among those who attended the celebration in Middletown [Decoration Day] from this place were Mrs. Prudence Mann, Mrs. Hanrietta Spencer, Mr. and Mrs. George Frick, Mrs. Clayton Burr and Mrs. and Mrs. W.E. S. Burr with their families.
Moodus, June 3, 1919: A welcome home party was given at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Chauncey Brooks on Memorial Day in honor of their son, Charles B. Brooks, who recently returned from overseas. The house was decorated inside and outside with stars and stripes. The dining room table groaned under the weight of the viands for the inner man.
Higganum, June 4, 1919: Many of the men on the state road were unable to work, yesterday afternoon, on account of the heat.
Higganum, June 5, 1919: Two aeroplanes passed over this place, yesterday, flying quite low, so they were distinctly seen.
Middletown, June 6, 1919: Beginning June 9th, the Connecticut Woman’s Suffrage Association will start a week’s campaign for $100,000 for the development of true Americanism through training in good citizenship, and to advance the interests of Woman Suffrage in the state. Members of the Citizen’s Committee for Middlesex County, who will assist in the campaign [from Haddam], include Mrs. Whitney Porter and Mr. Charles B. Carlson.
Haddam, June 6, 1919: Prizes were awarded in the first grade to Julia Johnson and Warren Shailer, in the primary, to Johnny, Charles and Susie Grand and in the intermediate to Ruby Thompson, Julia Russell and Dorothy Hall.
East Haddam, June 7, 1919: That flag you see flying from the pole at the East Haddam approach to the bridge, is a Beginning to End flag, given only to towns that went over the top in all five liberty loans. The flag has a white field surrounded by a red border, and in the center 4 blue marks, with the 5th running diagonally across them.
A syndicate from Hartford has bought up a large part of the real estate at the Landing, among which are the Champion House property, and the dock and store of M.H. Watrous. They are negotiation with others.
Middletown, June 9, 1919: The Russell Manufacturing Co. will inaugurate a 50-hour-a-week schedule, a cut of five hours. In addition the company has also voluntarily granted a 10 percent increase over the old rates on all piece work, and an increase of 10 percent per hour for all day work. The reduction is in line with a general policy to adopt modern ideas and methods whenever this will add to the general welfare and insure the continued successful operation of the plant. [Nationally and world-wide, post war labor was engaged in strikes for wages and benefits.]
Haddam, June 10, 1919: At the Sunday evening service of the Y.P.C.E. there were several songs by the children, a duet by Mrs. F.H. Arnold and Mrs. A.M. Clarke, and a solo by Miss A.M. Bitters. Corporal Charles Church gave an interesting but brief account of his life overseas.
East Haddam, June 11, 1919: The shad fishermen are drying out and preparing nets for storage until 1920. This season has been profitable but to a few.
Higganum, June 13, 1919: Miss Elizabeth Kelsey is to open a tea room formerly used by E.G. Holbrook as a store. Last year she cleared quite a sum and donated it to the Red Cross.
Higganum, June 17, 1919: Alpheus Robinson, sixteen and the only son of Mr. and Mrs. George Robinson, was drowned on Sunday while bathing at the river near the old dock. He was unable to swim and going out he stepped off the channel and went down. Two boys, Alfred Melin and Carl Chappel, though they could swim, were unable to help the drowning boy.
Maromas, June 18, 1919: Work is now underway on the property of the New England Potash Company at Higganum, for the construction of a plant for the production of potash and super-phosphate from feldspar. The company purchased a tract of 800 acres which extends about two miles along the Connecticut river between Maromas and Higganum, the main part of the tract being the old Scoville farm.
Shailerville, June 19, 1919: A welcome home party was given at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Herman Dittmore in honor of the boys who have been in the service. Among the boys were: Charles Clark, Frank Kelsey, Walter Schutte, and Clifton Butler for the army, and Julius Schutte, and Paul Christanson for the navy.
Haddam, June 19, 1919: The trustees of Field Park have recently placed a railing around the top of the big rock on Isinglass Hill as a safeguard against accidents. This rock has always been a favorite rendezvous for young people. The railing on the outlook is embedded in the rock so firmly that it will remain for future generations.
East Haddam, June 23, 1919: The scarcity of Woodchucks around gardens this spring is due to the record of A.E. Eldridge and his dog “Tige” in their war of extermination. In 1918 Tige’s record was 75 and thus far in 1919 he has mounted 35 more to that record. Show Tige where a ground hog is located and he is in his element and incidentally that hog’s doom is sealed.
Higganum, June 30, 1919: It is reported that the Russell co. is talking of starting their mill in this town once more and would employ at least about 300 hands if satisfactory arrangements can be made. It would be the means of building up the place and giving work to many who would be glad of employment.
100 years ago, much has changed and, then again, nothing has changed.